I first noticed a few red small spots Monday evening, but I didn't give it much thought. Two weeks ago today he received the MMR. One of the side effects is a fever and a rash. He had a fever last Thursday and Friday, so I thought he was now getting a rash.
Yesterday morning he woke up with more spots, but still I didn't think much of it and we went to Bible Study. While there, I was paged because the nursery workers thought he was having an allergic reaction. Sure enough the rash had gotten worse, but it didn't seem to bother him. I gave him Benadrayl as a precaution, but it didn't seem to make a difference. Yesterday afternoon it spread until he had spots from head to toe.
I decided to e-mail his pediatrician who said it this type of reaction wasn't something that he would expect to see from an MMR, but it was possible. By this time it was too late for an appointment, and since his rash looked more like measles to me than an allergic reaction I decided to wait until the morning to take him in.
I was able to get him an early afternoon appointment. When the nurse asked me if he was allergic to any medications, it finally dawned on me that rash was from amoxicillin. The Monday before last he was diagnosed with his first ear infection and was prescribed antibiotics for the first time. Apparently it can take up to a week before you have an reaction.
Thank God he didn't have a severe reaction and in a few days his skin should be back to normal.

No comments:
Post a Comment