Thursday, April 28, 2011

Kansas Trip

My Grandma Harlow passed away April 6, so we made a trip to Kansas for her funeral.

There are some things I miss about Southwest Kansas - like the wide open spaces, small towns, county fairs, 4-H, school sporting events, and how people just stop by unannounced and end up staying for dinner.

I however do not miss the desert like conditions and hurricane strength wind. A few days prior to our arrival there had been a huge grassfire by Satanta (my Grandma's hometown), and the wind caused a horrible dust storm.

This is Satanta you can see the dirt up by the grain elevator.


I took this picture on our way from Satanta to Elkhart The dirt blizzard made it hard to see across the highway.


My city boy didn't like driving by the cattle feedlots.




My parent's live an hour away from the Satanta so the evening before the funeral we stayed at the local motel. The rooms had some unique decor. We stayed in the Bird House themed room while Nici's family stayed in the Red Hat Ladies Society room.

It was nice to spend the weekend visiting with everyone. Grandma had 5 boys, 13 grandkids and 20+ great-grandkids and 3 great-great kids, so there was a big crowd. That isn't even counting any extended family members.




Second Cousins - Zack and Lynde

Great Uncle Oliver - This is my Grandpa Harlow's brother. The Harlow men are know for their longevity. Oliver just turned 90, his brother Marvin is getting ready to turn 93 and my Grandpa passed away at 89.


Katelyn and me






My cousins from California were able to make it. They are the close to the same age as Nici and I. This was the first time cousin Audra was able to bring her boys with her. Epic and Hunter enjoyed playing with Caleb




This is all of the first cousins except four. I was a little sad that we didn't think to snap a picture earlier, because I doubt we will all ever be in one place again.

No comments: